From:   Gilad Berman <gil...@il.ibm.com>
Date:   2013/01/04 18:31
Subject:        Re: [xcat-user] Upgrading new kernel

Guang,

First, thx for your response.

I should probably state this is a statefull installation.
The reason for not using otherpkgs is we must have it done before the
reboot. we could put the script in the postscripts and not in the
postbootscripts but we did not want to mess with the environment (this is
only part of the statefull installations we have in our cluster and looked
for a solution that can keep the environment as generic as possible).
This is also the reason for not updating the OS repo (/install/os/arch.. )
because we have a running system and we do not want to change the kernel on
our statelite nodes and the other statefull nodes. this kernel change
should apply only to one type of nodes (the service nodes due to this -
https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7011397).

We ended up adding this as a repo to the .tmpl file (not an easy task at
all apparently.. you need to follow the add on rules of Yast, wasn't so
trivial).

Looks like the new feature will make everything much easier.

thx.

Regards,

Gilad Berman
HPC Architect
IBM System & Technology Group. Israel

E-mail: gil...@il.ibm.com
Tel:    972-3-9188262
Mobile: 972-52-2554262

The information contained in this email is being provided by IBM as a
matter of courtesy and provided "AS-IS" without any direct and implied
warranty; IBM assumes no liability. It is your responsibility to ensure
that any resulting customer proposal has been correctly designed to meet
your clients' requirements and to have an active review process which
ensures an appropriate level of solution assurance is performed for all
proposals. IBM does not take responsibility for the solution or solution
assurance.