Lissa,

The Dynamic DNS documentation wording is a bit confusing given that it still uses Bind9 as the underlying DNS service. This is probably why he is mentioning Bind.

On 5/14/2014 12:01 PM, Lissa Valletta wrote:

The DNS master slave support in xCAT makedns is only for management node and servicenodes and only available as of 2.8.4. You keep referring to bind. We do not use bind anymore. We are now using dynamic DNS in makedns (ddns). The bind.pm plugin is no longer shipped and has been replaced with ddns.pm. With the current release you should only be using ddns.pm. If you are migrating from an old release that used bind to 2.8, you will be switching to the dynamic dns support (ddns), if you use makedns. When you switch you will need to run makedns -n to build the new configuration files for ddns interface. By the way you will see in the below document, you are also going to need to add all your networks in the xCAT networks tables. makedns will not add nodes unless they on a defined networks. If you use the document, you should be running a supported level of xCAT, either 2.7.8 or 2.8.3. Then you also deal with the fact some of the more recent improvements like the multiple domain support and Master/Slave are only available in the the 2.8.3 or 2.8.4 releases.

Lissa K. Valletta
8-3/B10
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
(tie 293) 433-3102

Inactive hide details for David Flatley---05/14/2014 11:57:31 AM--- According to the documentation DNS master on management David Flatley---05/14/2014 11:57:31 AM--- According to the documentation DNS master on management and slave on the service node is not ava

From: David Flatley/Burlington/IBM@IBMUS
Date: 05/14/2014 11:57 AM
Subject: Re: [xcat-user] DNS/makedns issue

    According to the documentation DNS master on management and slave on
the service node is not available till Xcat 2.8.4. So does this mean Xcat's
DNS will not do master and slave on Bind till 2.8.4 or just not on the
service node till 2.8.4?
       Thanks.

David Flatley
"To err is human. To really screw up requires the root password." -UNKNOWN