It's custom supermicro hardware. I did a nodediscoverstart noderange=apu-n[3-4] hostiprange=172.21.1.[3-4]

I think you answered my question here though:
> The error complains that 172.21.1.201cannot be found from the output of "arp -n" command

The nodes being discovered are not part of the same flat network. Is there a way of getting nodediscovery to parse the dhcp messages from /var/log/messages instead of relying on arp?