Using virtual machines to test IPMI-related things is supposed to be
possible, but very, very difficult. I tried to do the exact thing you are
trying to accomplish, but eventually gave up and got my hands on a few
cheap physical servers instead (discarded years-old servers should work
just fine for this purpose). The problem is that IPMI is a BIOS-level
feature, and the BIOS qemu normally provides is basically a standard
workstation-type BIOS. OpenIPMI will only give you the client side of IPMI.

BTW, there are similar issues if you want to emulate UEFI or SecureBoot.

You could try looking at this: https://github.com/Zexi/vbmc-qemu - no
guarantee that it will work, but I'd be interested in hearing about it if
you do get it to work!

Kevin Keane | Systems Architect | University of San Diego ITS |
kke...@sandiego.edu
Maher Hall, 192 |5998 Alcalá Park | San Diego, CA 92110-2492 | 619.260.6859

*REMEMBER! **No one from IT at USD will ever ask to confirm or supply your
password*.
These messages are an attempt to steal your username and password. Please
do not reply to, click the links within, or open the attachments of these
messages. Delete them!