Hi Samveen

Here’s my thoughts, but others can chime in.  I understood that need for the
CLA to ensure that contributions made from the community was “given 100% to the
project with no strings attached”.  Once a PR is submitted, it’s owned by the
project now.  Someone would not come back at a later time and say we stole
their work and result in some legal issues.  But looking at other open source
projects, CLAs seem pretty standard.  I would suggest that we look at other
projects to get ideas on how to handle it.

When Softlayer was acquired by IBM, I took interest in their open-sourced
Python API and and I just went back to look…  it looks like they also had a
very similar CLA, but not sure if this is standard IBM practice. (perhaps)
https://github.com/softlayer/softlayer-python/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md which
links to
https://github.com/softlayer/softlayer-python/blob/master/docs/dev/cla-individual.md

but then looking at a Kubernetes project, they also have CLAs that are similar
to what xCAT has today:
https://github.com/kubernetes/community/blob/master/CLA.md

For the signed CLA’s, when I was tracking it, we would accept the CLAs, store
them in a safe place, and then I would add the user into the “Contributors”
group in the xcat-core repo, which is set to “read-only”.  At least this adds
the github handle to be able to be mentioned and one way to easily know if
someone has signed it.  It would be up to the user whether they wanted to
accept membership or not, if not, then they would not join and we can’t @ them
anyway.  There was probably some other internal location that I used to track….
 I forgot.

Looking at other projects today, I would probably have suggested creating a
CONTRIBUTORS file in the repo and keep track of the github handle.  (but not
sure how people feel about that)  As to where to store the CLAs, there probably
needs to be a better way to do this moving forward that allows for the
maintainers to have transparency and access to the CLA documents if needed.

Regards,
Victor