Am 02.03.10, 15:36 -0000 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 16:15 +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
Am 02.03.10, 14:35 -0000 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 15:26 +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
Hello,

I am searching for a way to tell filemanagers about a certain mime type
and a according icon. What I could do is to install the mime type xml file
in the style described here:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/AddingMIMETutor

Additional I have added a <generic-icon name="oyranos_logo"/> element. But
this seems to have no effect (dolphin and nautilus). In fact this icon is
provided as PNG in:
~/.local/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/oyranos_logo.png   and
$(prefix)/share/pixmaps/oyranos_logo.png
The icons in that paths are used for applications just fine, e.g.
inkscape.

Is my mime xml file somehow wrong (attached)?

Yes. Generic icons are just that. They're there to make sure that all
data types have icons. For most image, audio and video documents, that
would already be part of the mime-type (so a image/foobar mime-type
would already know to use the generic image icon if no image-foobar icon
was available).

I thought that is expressed in this mime xml file.

No, there's no relationship to icons in the mime database, apart from

... apart from the <generic-icon /> element.

the mime-types for which it would be impossible to find a generic type
(usually application/* mime-types).

Sorry I do not understand. You mean the generic-icon can not be used to lookup icons? I can only guess to make sense of that.

Is on freedesktop.org a tutorial on how to install a application including
a own data format?

The page you mentioned looks fine to me.

Except it does not tell about this special relationship I am intressted
in (icon to MIME assigment in the xml file).

You cannot assign icons in the mime database.

Ok, then generic-icon is ignored? Should'nt this be mentioned in the spec?

I must admit the spec pages on freedesktop.org is somewhat confusing.
There are even specs which do not have a date inside, especially the
"Shared MIME-info Database" spec.

Perhaps the generic-icon element is simply not yet implemented?

No. You should be installing a application-x-icc icon in your icon theme

Its not included here - shared-mime-info-0.60-2.2.x86_64 openSUSE-11.2 .

It's in 0.71.

Good, I see it there.

instead. Note that ICC profiles are already in shared-mime-info.

Ah, you mean it need the naming convention
icon name + file ending == mime name (?)

It's explained in the icon theme spec.

Putting the file into a mimetypes subdirectory?
Tried, still not working.

No it does not help. So I assume the missing association to be a bug with
both Gnome and KDE. (After updating with xdg-user-dirs-update)

To update the icon cache GTK+ uses, you should run
"gtk-update-icon-cache". Not sure what KDE uses, but it's not related to
mime-types.

... makes no difference.

The icon theme specification has the explanations on how to install
icons for mime-types:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html

I tried in ~/.icon but it's confusing as the above paths already worked
for apps. No help eigther.

It's ~/.icons not ~/.icon

Thanks for pointing out. I corrected this, but makes no difference.

The shared-mime-info specification only carry information for when it's
impossible to guess the generic icon from the mime-type itself.

Yes that would be fine.

Anyway, thanks for your quick response.

... guessing guessing guessing ...
Seems here is no help to get that done.