Hello everyone!
I am translator and tester of SpaceFM file manager.
There were some heated discussion of the new mime spec https://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm/issues/450

As it is still in flux I'd like to share some thoughts. The ordering and precedence in the spec is somewhat shady. For example current spec does not allow removed association to be re-added further downstream. David Faure replied that clarifications will follow.

In the meantime, I would like to make some fresh-eyed input.
Do the following statements cover the intended meaning of the algorithm? Let's say these are both questions and suggestions:

The ordered list of associations of given mimetype is forming from upstream to downstream, every downstream part takes precedence and overrides its upstream part.
Items in [Default Applications] influence ordering only.
Items in [Added Associations] influence presence only (just as content of .desktop files).
Items in [Removed Associations] are removed from list in current iteration.

The order of sources of item is this (from upstream to downstream):
$XDG_DATA_DIRS .desktop files >
$XDG_DATA_DIRS mimeapps.list >
$XDG_DATA_DIRS $desktop-mimeapps.list >
$XDG_CONFIG_DIRS mimeapps.list >
$XDG_CONFIG_DIRS $desktop-mimeapps.list >
$XDG_DATA_HOME .desktop files >
$XDG_DATA_HOME mimeapps.list >
$XDG_DATA_HOME $desktop-mimeapps.list >
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME mimeapps.list >
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME $desktop-mimeapps.list >

Another opinion is voiced by IgnorantGuru, the developer of SpaceFM. He points out that separate [Default Applications] is redundant and is a big step away from KISS principle. List ordering in [Added Associations] should be enough to change/determine default application.

Thank you for your time!