For what it’s worth, there already was a quite nice Intents proposal [1]. Android Intents [2] might be interesting as well.

[1]: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2014-January/013068.html
[2]: https://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/Intent

On Wed, 29 Aug, 2018 at 10:14 PM, Ian Huang <imyxhu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey, that's a thought. Something like an intent system sounds perfect to categorize these actions. And then desktops could stop abusing the MIME system or gconf or hardcoding for these things. Somebody's got to bring up that we could take the easy way out and have x-intent/ be a whole category of dummy MIME types, but that doesn't really fix the concern about inconsistent CLI arguments, so once again I doubt it would be the right choice.

So yes, I think generalizing your xdg-terminal-exec proposal into a new system for intents would be great. Off the top of my head, one way would be that the directories could be restructured to have xdg-intents directories (instead of xdg-terminals of course) with subdirectories carrying the names of the intents, like ~/.local/share/xdg-intents/terminals/ for instance.

You could also structure the config .list files in the same matter. But there might be a better way, it's kind of trivial how you should structure this.