Hi,

On 8/14/19 4:22 AM, Dominik Schmidt wrote:
Hi there,

There are many issues and pending pull requests on the xdg-utils project.
You should consider either maintaining or deprecating it.
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xdg/xdg-utils/

It is maintained, just by not many people who are also very busy maintaining many other things, I'll try and go through the list of pull requests in the next couple of days. A few months back I went through and collected up all the patches that were in the bugtracker and submitted those.

As for the issues most of them are very old, I tried to close a bunch that are no longer relevant a little while back but I don't have easy access to every desktop so I can't close all of them (help here is wanted). There are another bunch many of which that are to do with escaping that can't easily be fixed due to the fact that fixing them either breaks in an alternate shell such as dash or causes other things to break. Into the future I'm aiming to rewrite much of xdg-utils in python which should limit / remove some of these issues.

Having said all that speaking with a SUSE / openSUSE distro hat on, xdg-utils is still a core desktop component and unless something else replaces it, it won't be depreciated any time soon.

I suspect that with the move from the old location to gitlab some people who were getting notifications about new issues / pull requests are no longer doing so, which may not be helping the problem. I just updated my settings so that hopefully I now get notifications.

Cheers

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30