I hope I'm on the right list, and not being too forward! I got this address
from #freedesktop at Freenode.

---

Proposal: add a [Spoken Name] field to .desktop files, for use by "virtual
assistants."

I'm writing a crude utility to enable the Mycroft personal assistant to launch
desktop applications. The most effective route *by far* has been to parse
desktop entries, just like your typical application launcher, and cache the
results.

The problem arises when trying to name the program out loud. The "name" field
in a desktop entry doesn't necessarily correspond to what a user would call the
program when discussing it. Hence, "Mycroft, launch Firefox," doesn't do the
trick on stock Debian. You have to do, "Mycroft, launch Firefox ESR." Quantum
on stock Ubuntu wants to be called, "Firefox Web Browser," or something like
that.

There are all manner of partial solutions to this problem. You could cache
aliases, preloading the cache with known applications and their colloquial
names, and permitting users to add aliases of their own. You could get fancy
with the AI, asking it to do fuzzy matching, or hooking into its own parser.

However, this seems like a feature that everybody's going to have within a few
years. Why should programmers or users have to work around the written name of
an application? Surely it should be up to developers to inform my "virtual
assistant" that the program is properly termed *Telegram* and not *Telegram
desktop*.