> The Breeze icon theme currently has an issue where we (KDE's designers) want
> to use different styles for different parts of a GUI, but what we want to do
> cannot be done without breaking compatibility with XDG icon specs.

What you're describing could be characterized as using different _themes_ for
different parts of a GUI, and indeed, it may be that structuring your design
around that idea would provide a way forward that benefits from reasonably good
support from existing foundations.

Do keep in mind, however, that one of the main objectives of themes is to
provide UI elements that are consistent across applications and contexts.  You
may not remember the days when every application provided its own icons for
everything, but it was needlessly painful and made everything harder to use.
Consistent icon naming does support icon theme swapping, but that's a secondary
consideration.

Consistency would not be impacted too badly by a multi-theme UI if the themes
involved were appropriately designed for use together.  For example, monochrome
and full-color versions of the same icons would probably work together without
too much friction, but even there you're stepping on user expectations: I
predict that most users would suppose that there was some difference between
the meaning of color and monochrome versions of an icon.  In that particular
case, in fact, I'd expect that some users would confuse the monochrome icons
with icons for disabled actions.

> Could the XDG icon specs be modified to allow the use of different icon
> styles for different GUI components without requiring apps to request those
> different styles?

No doubt the specs could be so modified, but I don't think they should be.
Themes already serve effectively as namespaces for icon names.  It would be
less disruptive and more portable to build support for multi-theming than to
make themes themselves more complex.  If you want to look at it this way, I
suppose I'm suggesting that you approach the problem by adding a new layer of
indirection.

John Bollinger