On mercredi 13 novembre 2019 09:45:23 CET Jonas DOREL wrote:
>   - the benefit from having XDG_CONFIG_HOME split from XDG_DATA_HOME is
> that you can use a VCS with it.

This is exactly one of the reasons in favour of XDG_STATE_HOME, indirectly:
right now, there are many files in XDG_DATA_HOME that you would also want in
your CVS. Bookmarks, custom desktop files, databases...

Well, maybe this simply means these things should be moved to XDG_CONFIG_HOME,
now that I think of it. (I just created such a task for kxmlgui5 files - i.e.
menu/toolbar/shortcut definition files for KDE applications).

Should ~/.local/share/applications/*.desktop move to ~/.config?

This "fits into a VCS" distinction (which I like) also indicates that things
like "last window size" does not belong into XDG_CONFIG_HOME (we do it because
it's convenient API wise to use the app config file for that). I always
thought "we need XDG_STATE_HOME in order to split this out, because it's
state, not config" -- and indeed we wouldn't want a git commit every time you
resize a window -- but then again, the solution is simply to put that into
XDG_DATA_HOME then.

--
David Faure, fa...@kde.org, http://www.davidfaure.fr
Working on KDE Frameworks 5