Hi,

On Wed, 2020-02-26 at 18:18 +0100, Benjamin Berg wrote:
> The strong argument in favour is that we have an external service that
> guarantees cleanup even if the application is not running regularly.
> For example, I have multiple .cache/* directories with relevant amounts
> of junk data for applications that I have not used in months to years.

I would like to add one more point here. With this, we can provide a
way for the user to clear all caches, etc. i.e. the DE can simply run
systemd-tmpfiles --clean (or the equivalent) to wipe all caches that
have automatic cleanup configured.
Such a feature can be both useful for privacy reasons and to clear up
disk space. e.g. as a suggested action when running low on space.

Benjamin