On 3/6/20 11:34 AM, Benjamin Berg wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, 2020-03-05 at 21:24 +0100, Johannes Thrän wrote:
  - the PRIMARY buffer is only updated on left button up events
  - a text selection is replaced by the contents of the PRIMARY buffer
when a middle click is registered within it
I don't think that interaction is well enough defined. i.e. if you
double or tripple click to select words/lines then you would need to
define that the buffer must only be updated after the
double/triple/quadruple click timeout happens.

You are right. If I get the wayland protocol for primary selection right, it also also discourages the clients to update the buffer whenever the selection changes and formulates it along the lines of: "when the selection is finished".

There are widgets that do what you specified. My thunderbird preview windowlet for example.

Trying the combination, it feels quite hard to pull off to me and
really not discoverable at all.

Benjamin

Tom discovered it many years ago, didn't he :). No seriously, of course this is very not obvious. It would be a power user feature that one has to be introduced to, like many others. Think of it this way: many regard the middle mouse paste as a unique selling point for linux. Improving on an already existing unique selling can only be good. It might not be easy to do first try :) yes. I don't find it hard, but even if: never having to think about pressing ctrl-c *before, would be certainly worth practicing.

Johannes