On 5/3/21 1:36 PM, Eli Schwartz wrote:

And then there is mimeo, a program that lets you take a desktop file and
add default associations for it, for every mimetype matching, say,
'glob:text/*'. Because if you don't whack mimeapps.list with a big stick
and add user preferences for every mimetype known to man, you might end
up in the tragic situation where some implementation of some spec tries
to randomly guess for you, so let's better set all the ones you don't
use just in case someday you do use it. "Better safe than sorry."

On a tangent, the inability to set a preferred application for wildcard mime
types like text/* and image/* is a big pain point for me.

I open text files in a lot of different formats, and I'd like to be able to open them all with the same editor, but adding an entry for every text/* entry that I
could ever possibly use to my mimeapps.list is quite a pain.