Hi guys

I`m trying to set up the BTS so that I can log the branches taken in the guest
using Xen 4.4.1 with a WinXP SP3 guest on a Core i7 Sandy Bridge.
I added the vpmu=bts boot parameter to my grub2 configuration and extended the
libxl,libxc,domctl,... with an own command so that I can trigger the activation
of the BTS whenever I want.
In this command I do the following:
I set up the memory region for the BTS Buffer and the DS Buffer Management Area
using xzalloc_bytes
Then I write the pointer to the BTS Buffer into the DS Buffer Management Area
at +0x0 and +0x8 (BTS Buffer Base and BTS Index)
When I use vmx_msr_write_intercept to store the value in MSR_IA32_DS_AREA the
host reboots (my idea is he tries to access a vpmu-struct that isn´t there in
the current vcpu and panics).
When I use a modified version of vmx_msr_write_intercept I don't get any
crashes as long as I don't enable BTS and TR in the GUEST_IA32_DEBUGCTL (BTR
works). When I enable the BTS (and TR) the guest crashes. I suppose he gets
killed by the hypervisor for accessing forbidden memory.
The modified version of vmx_msr_write_intercept takes a vcpu-struct as a
parameter and uses this instead of the current vcpu.
Instead of
static int vmx_msr_write_intercept(unsigned int msr, uint64_t msr_content)
{
    struct vcpu *v = current;
I just have
static int own_vmx_msr_write_intercept(unsigned int msr, uint64_t msr_content,
struct vcpu *v)

I get this vcpu by d->vcpu[0] as I have limited my guest domain to one vcpu atm.
Of course I also use similarly modified version of the called
functions(vpmu_do_wrmsr,...).
I´m pretty sure that my problem is with a wrong scope/usage of the
vcpus/memory, but I have no idea how to fix this.
I can see a potential problem with the memory allocation (in the host) into
which the cpu in guest-mode is supposed to write.
Or maybe I got the principle of a vcpu/vpmu all wrong.

Since I couldn't find any project that uses the BTS for the guest, I am
wondering if anyone has ever done this and if it is possible at all.
Any input is welcome as I am pretty much stuck atm...

Cheers

Kevin