ASRock Z170 Extreme 4 with BIOS version 2.30 was motherboard #1
Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI with BIOS version F5 was motherboard #2

As I initially reported, both were reporting the error involving f0:1f.0

Not surprisingly, there are no f0:xx.y devices.  The closest I suppose is:
00:1f.0 ISA Bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H LPC Controller (rev
31)

At the moment, I am back on vanilla 4.6.0, and no such error messages are
being reported via 'xl dmesg'.  I am guessing reporting of this error was
added post-4.6.

Eric