> > In the matrix I see "Is a user space attack on the guest kernel possible
> > (when running in a Xen VM)?" For PVH (and HVM) = Yes[1] where [1]
> > Impacts Intel CPUs only.
> >
> > Is there any mitigation for this?  i.e. How to protect a guest VM from
> > its own userspace processes.
>
> That part is handled by the kernel inside the guest. Xen doesn't see
> that happening.
>
> It's for example the KPTI/KAISER patches that got into the linux kernels
> now.

The most recent update to XSA-254 seems to clearly state that the kernel KPTI
patches will not protect the guest from itself with the shim installed:

> PV-in-PVH/HVM shim approach leaves *guest* vulnerable to Meltdown
> attacks from its unprivileged users, even if the guest has KPTI
> patches.  That is, guest userspace can use Meltdown to read all memory
> in the same guest.

So the questions remains, how do you protect a guest from a malicious user
inside of it?

Is it really the case that the *only* full solution to move to xen 4.10 and
guest kernel 4.11?!

Cheers,
Nathan