(Sorry for the formatting)

On 23 Mar 2018 14:46, "Manish Jaggi" <mja...@caviumnetworks.com> wrote:

On 03/21/2018 03:26 PM, Julien Grall wrote:

> Hi Manish,
>
> On 03/21/2018 09:38 AM, Manish Jaggi wrote:

>>> Here the major comments for the series (included patch not reviewed):
>>>     1) You seem to miss some patches from Linux. I would like to
>>> understand why they are not there.
>>>
>> if code is ported to xen, it is perfectly fine to take only relevant
>> patches.
>>

> It is usually expected from the contributor to have some sort of
> explanation in the cover letter. In particular when you are based on a
> series from Linux.
>
> Where I am more worried is there are patch on top in Linux, that you
> didn't backport. So it would be really nice to understand why those patches
> are not in Xen.
>
> A non-exhaustive list:
>     - KVM: arm64: Log an error if trapping a write-to-read-only GICv3
> access
>         - KVM: arm64: Log an error if trapping a read-from-write-only
> GICv3 access
>

> For instance we are not providing any command line option to individually
>> enable group1 grou0 traps.
>>

> I think the command line option could be useful for testing. Developer
> don't necessarily have a Thunder-X in hand.
>
>     2) Strangely some commits does not match the Linux one either in order
>>> and content (I am not speaking about the changes required by Xen). For
>>> instance this is the case of patch #14 "arm64: vgic-v3: Add
>>> ICV_AP(0/1)Rn_EL1 handler". If you port commit from Linux, then you should
>>> follow the same. This help a lot for review.
>>>
>> Since we are not doing individually enable of group0/1, it doesnt make
>> sense to have two set of patches for ICV_AP0 / ICV_AP1. So I merged it.
>>

> Sorry, but it does not make sense. Looking at the series you pointed. I
> don't see a patch just for ICV_AP0. Instead it is part of " KVM: arm64:
> vgic-v3: Enable trapping of Group-0 system registers". You ported that
> patch in Xen.
>
> If you see this patch, you will find this one specifically for ICV_AP1
https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/pipermail/kvmarm/2017-June/026040.html

You didn't get my point...  You still don't explain why you move the
ICV_AP0 from "Enable trapping of Group-0 system registers"  to that patch.
If you take commit from Linux then don't move code between commit around
unless there is a good reason.

Please try to make the review a bit easier...

Cheers,