On 24.06.2022 21:27, George Dunlap wrote:

>> On 9 Dec 2021, at 11:27, Jan Beulich <jbeul...@suse.com> wrote:
>>
>> For guests in shadow mode the P2M table gets used only by software. The
>> only place where it matters whether superpages in the P2M can be dealt
>> with is sh_unshadow_for_p2m_change().
>
> It’s easy to verify that this patch is doing what it claims to do; but
> whether it’s correct or not depends on the veracity of this claim here.
> Rather than me having to duplicate whatever work you did to come to this
> conclusion, can you briefly explain why it’s true in a way that I can easily
> verify?

Would

"The table is never made accessible by hardware for address translation,
 and the only checks of _PAGE_PSE in P2M entries in shadow code are in
 this function (all others are against guest page table entries)."

look sufficient to you?

> e.g., all other accesses to the p2m in the shadow code are via
> get_gfn_[something](), which (because it’s in the p2m code) handles p2m
> superpages correctly?

Well, yes - I don't think I need to reason about generic P2M code being
super-page aware?

Jan