On 17.04.2023 12:17, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 14, 2023 at 01:30:39AM +0000, Volodymyr Babchuk wrote:
>> Above I have proposed another view on this. I hope, it will work for
>> you. Just to reiterate, idea is to allow "harmless" refcounts to be left
>> after returning from pci_remove_device(). By "harmless" I mean that
>> owners of those refcounts will not try to access the physical PCI
>> device if pci_remove_device() is already finished.
>
> I'm not strictly a maintainer of this piece code, albeit I have an
> opinion.  I will like to also hear Jans opinion, since he is the
> maintainer.

I'm afraid I can't really appreciate the term "harmless refcounts". Whoever
holds a ref is entitled to access the device. As stated before, I see only
two ways of getting things consistent: Either pci_remove_device() is
invoked upon dropping of the last ref, or it checks that it is dropping the
last one. The former looks architecturally cleaner to me, but I can accept
that moving there might be more of a change, so wouldn't object to going
the latter route.

Jan