On 5/4/23 15:58, zithro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [ snipped for brevity, report summary:
> XAPI daemon in domU tries to write to a non-existent xenstore node in
> a non-XAPI dom0 ]
>
> On 12 Apr 2023 18:41, Yann Dirson wrote:
>> Is there anything besides XAPI using this node, or the other data
>> published by xe-daemon?
>
> On my vanilla Xen (ie. non-XAPI), I have no node about "balloon"-ing
> in xenstore (either dom0 or domU nodes, but I'm not using ballooning
> in both).
>
>> Maybe the original issue is just that there is no reason to have
>> xe-guest-utilities installed in this setup?
>
> That's what I thought as I'm not using XAPI, so maybe the problem
> should only be addressed to the truenas team ? I posted on their forum
> but got no answer.
> I killed the 'xe-daemon' in both setups without loss of functionality.
>
> My wild guess is that 'xe-daemon', 'xe-update-guest-attrs' and all
> 'xenstore* commands' are leftovers from when Xen was working as a dom0
> under FreeBSD (why would a *domU* have them ?).

That would not be correct: xenstore* are useful in guests, should you
want to read/write to the XenStore manually or from scripts; xe-deamon
and xe-update-guest-attrs both come from xe-guest-utilities 6.x, which
is really a domU tool as well, but is there to support XAPI in dom0.

Best regards,

--
Yann Dirson | Vates Platform Developer
XCP-ng & Xen Orchestra - Vates solutions

Yann Dirson | Vates Platform Developer

XCP-ng & Xen Orchestra - Vates solutions
w: vates.fr | xcp-ng.org | xen-orchestra.com