On 24.05.2023 08:14, Jan Beulich wrote:
> On 24.05.2023 03:13, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
>> For sure I can test your patch. BTW it is also really easy for you to do
>> it your simply by pushing a branch to a repo on gitlab-ci and watch for
>> the results. If you are interested let me know I can give you a
>> tutorial, you just need to create a repo, and register the gitlab runner
>> and voila'.
>>
>> This is the outcome:
>>
>> https://gitlab.com/xen-project/people/sstabellini/xen/-/pipelines/876808194
>>

>> (XEN) PCI add device 0000:00:00.0
>> (XEN) PCI add device 0000:00:00.2
>> (XEN) PCI add device 0000:00:01.0
>> (XEN) PCI add device 0000:00:02.0
>> (XEN) Assertion 'd == dom_xen && system_state < SYS_STATE_active' failed at
>> drivers/vpci/header.c:313
>
> So this is an assertion my patch adds. The right side of the && may be too
> strict, but it's been too long to recall why exactly I thought the case
> should occur only before Dom0 starts. You may want to retry with that 2nd
> half of the condition dropped.

And indeed it needs dropping. The patch pre-dates 163db6a72b66 ("x86/PVH:
permit more physdevop-s to be used by Dom0"), and despite me being the
author of that one I failed to make the connection. Which quite clearly
indicates some other oddity, because in principle I should be hitting
that same assertion then as well when booting PVH Dom0. Yet I don't, so
I have more to figure out.

Jan