> On 31 Jan 2024, at 17:17, Andrew Cooper <andrew.coop...@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> On 31/01/2024 4:36 pm, Anthony PERARD wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 10:42:49AM +0000, Edwin Török wrote:
>>> We tried bumping to 4.06.1 [1] previously, but OSSTest was holding us
>>> back.
>>> So bump to OCaml 4.05 instead, which should match the version on
>>> OSSTest?
>> Yes, it's looks that's the version osstest can currently use.
>> I've started an osstest flight with this patch series and your other
>> ocaml patch series, and so far osstest seems happy with it. The flight
>> isn't finished but all build jobs succeed, and a lot of the tests jobs
>> as well.
>>
>> So:
>> Acked-by: Anthony PERARD <anthony.per...@citrix.com>
>
> A question, while I think about it.
>
> I understand why we want patch 1.  The 4.02 -> 4.03 bump is necessary to
> also compile with 5.0
>
> But why this 4.03 -> 4.05 bump?  There is no other change in this patch.

The oldest supported Debian has 4.05, and I can’t find a non-EOL distro with
4.03 or 4.04 here: https://repology.org/project/ocaml/versions
I also have another series (that I haven’t sent out yet) which would use Dune
1.x in an attempt to use Dune in a way that works on OSSTest, and the oldest
release I can test this on is Debian 10.

We could keep the minimum at 4.03, but would anything in the CI actually be
able to test that?

Best regards,
—Edwin