Hi John,

> On 21 Mar 2024, at 17:05, John Ernberg <john.ernb...@actia.se> wrote:
>
> Hi Bertrand,
>
> On 3/21/24 08:41, Bertrand Marquis wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> On 20 Mar 2024, at 18:40, Julien Grall <jul...@xen.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi John,

>>> I am concerned about this particular point from Bertrand:
>>>
>>> "would work if it is expected that Xen + Domain boot time is under the
>>> watchdog initial refresh rate."
>>>
>>> How will a user be able to figure out how to initially configure the
>>> watchdog? Is this something you can easily configure in the bootloader at
>>> runtime?
>
> If you go through the trouble of enabling the watchdog in the bootloader you
> usually know what you're doing and set the timeout yourself.
>
> Since our systems can be mounted in really annoying locations (both in
> installations and world-wise) we need as much auto-recovery as possible to
> avoid people having to travel to collect a unit that just needed a reset due
> to some unexpected obscure issue at startup.

I definitely get the need do not get me wrong.
I am just concerned by potential users having target restarting when using Xen
because of that and not knowing why.

>> Definitely here it would be better to have the watchdog turned off by
>> default and document how to enable it in the firmware.
>>
>> Even if a long timeout is configured by default, a user could run into
>> trouble if using a linux without watchdog or not running linux or using
>> dom0less without a linux having access to it.
>> I agree with Julien here that the concern could be that users would come to
>> us instead of NXP if there is system is doing a reset without reasons after
>> some seconds or minutes.
>
> I could add myself as a reviewer for the iMX parts if that helps routing
> such
> questions (and future patches) also to me. We have experience with the QXP,
> and the QM (for the supported parts by this patch set) is identical.
>
> Would that help with the concerns?

Definitely it could help.

>>> Overall, I am not for this approach at least in the current status. I would
>>> be more inclined if there are some documentations explaining how this is
>>> supposed to be configured on NXP, so others can use the code.
>>>
>>> Anyway, this is why we have multiple Arm maintainers for this kind of
>>> situation. If they other agrees with you, then they can ack the patch and
>>> this can be merged.
>>
>> I agree with Stefano that it would be good to have those board supported.
>>
>> One thing i could suggest until there is a watchdog driver inside Xen is to
>> have a clear Warning at Xen boot on those boards in the console so that we
>> could at least identify the reason easily if a reset occurs for someone.
>
> How do other SoCs deal with this currently? The iMX SoCs aren't the only
> ones
> with a watchdog, just the first one added to Xen that pings the watchdog
> over
> an SMC. What about the OMAPs, the R-Cars, Xilinx's, Exynos' and so on?

As far as I know the watchdog is usually not active until a driver activates it.
Which means that by default it will not fire.
Having it activated by the bootloader by default is not usual.
Now definitely on a lot of use cases the users are activating it in the
booloader
but their systems are design for it.

Do I understand that the default boot loader configuration is not activating it
on your side ?

Regards
Bertrand