On 29/08/18 17:11, Volodymyr Babchuk wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> During xen hacking I often encounter white spaces at EOLs. It is quite
> annoying to see red marker in, say, xen/arch/arm/domctl.c:25
>
> I used sed to create patch that removes all such whitespaces. Command
> is simple:
>
> # find xen -name "*.[ch]" | xargs sed -i "s/[[:space:]]*$//g"
>
> Problem is that patch is quite big:
>
>  285 files changed, 1463 insertions(+), 1463 deletions(-)
>
> So what is the best way to publish this fix? I can just send it to ML
> as one patch. There is no functional changes, so should I add
> maintainers?

There are more files than that.  By my count, its:

for the Xen subtree, and

for the entire tree.

In the past, it has been the view that fixing this all in one go might
be too intrusive to people developing series.  Then again, since the
last time this was discussed, we've switched from hg to git as a base
VCS, and git rebase has no issues coping with trailing whitespace changes.

We've been fixing it as we go, but it is very slow going.  I've got half
a mind to suggest that we just commit a single fix and call it done...

~Andrew