On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 5:16 AM Tian, Kevin <kevin.t...@intel.com> wrote:

> [...]
I'm not sure what you meant by 'platform', so I'll try to cover all the
bases.
Kernel: 4.19.0-9-amd64 GNU/Linux
Debian 10.4
Lenovo E490 ThinkPad
Intel Integrated Graphics 620

> > Thanks for the report. For context I'll quote the commit message of
> > the commit introducing the option as well as the request to report
> > issues fixed with it:
> >
> > "As we still cannot find a proper fix for this problem, this patch adds
> >  iommu=igfx option to control whether Intel graphics IOMMU is enabled.
> >  Running Xen with iommu=no-igfx is similar to running Linux with
> >  intel_iommu=igfx_off, which disables IOMMU for Intel GPU. This can be
> >  used by users to manually workaround the problem before a fix is
> >  available for i915 driver."
> >
> > This was in 2015, referencing Linux >= 3.19. I have no idea whether
> > the underlying driver issue(s) has/have been fixed. The addresses
> > referenced are variable enough and all within RAM, so I'd conclude
> > this is not a "missing RMRR" issue.
>
> Variable enough but not within RAM. From E820:
>
> (XEN)  0000000100000000 - 0000000871800000 (usable)
>
> But the referenced addresses are way higher:
>
> (XEN) [VT-D]DMAR:[DMA Read] Request device [0000:00:02.0] fault
> addr 76c615d000, iommu reg = ffff82c000a0c000
> (XEN) [VT-D]DMAR: reason 06 - PTE Read access is not set
>

> > Cc-ing the VT-d maintainer for possible insights or thoughts.
> >
> > Jan
>
> I don't have other thoughts except the weird addresses. It might be
> good to add some trace in dom0's i915 driver to see whether those
> addresses are intended or not.

Thanks for the insight! I'd love to help with the trace, but I don't know
how to do that. If you could point me in the right direction, I'd try to
give it a shot.

Thanks
> Kevin

Thanks for the insight!