On 11/03/2021 14:18, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 11:05:32AM +0000, Andrew Cooper wrote:
>> On 11/03/2021 08:27, Jan Beulich wrote:
>>> Depends on what __XEN_TOOLS__ really means - to guard things accessible
>>> to any part of the tool stack, or to guard unstable interfaces only.
>> As far as I'm concerned, __XEN_TOOLS__ should always have been spelled
>> __XEN_UNSTABLE_ABI__.
>>
>> For better or worse, the fact that we currently do have unstable
>> interfaces, which aren't in an obvious namespace such as
>> xen/public/unstable/, means that there is some value in some form of
>> protection to prevent users from inadvertently using an interface which
>> will explode on them with a mismatched hypervisor.
> I think using __XEN_UNSTABLE_ABI__ would be way clearer than
> __XEN_TOOLS__, or even placing those in a separate directory as you
> mention.

I plan to submit a rename for 4.16.

I don't expect I'll have much luck arguing for a release ack at this
point, and isn't totally risk-free.

Re-laying-out the headers is far more invasive, and was also a trick I
was planning to pull when we've got a rough plan for the other ABI
improvements agreed.

~Andrew