Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 17:36 +0800, Xu, Anthony wrote:
>>> Wouldn't it be better to have some generic features like "region x identity
>>> mapping with attributes y" which can be set via DomU configuration file?
>> It is not convenient for user.
>> And user can't know this information, if we provide this interface to user.
>> User may be confused, and if user uses this configuration incorrectly, it
>> will
>> break guest.
>
>    I think we need to be careful not to hide too many assumptions about
> the guest in Xen as well.  We can't be certain another OS won't use
> region 7 like this at some point.  I agree that a requiring a user to
> know certain memory layout attributes is way too low level, but what
> about a simple flag like "guest = windows".  Yes, it's not automatic
> like the code is now, but it feels more supportable.  Thanks,

I agree.
Further I would like to suggest to build up a "feature vector" dependant on
the simple flag. So instead of testing "guest is windows" you would test for
a feature which is set at boot time of the guest.
This is a benefit as soon as more than one guest type is treated in a special
way by Xen.

Juergen

--
Juergen Gross                             Principal Developer
IP SW OS6                      Telephone: +49 (0) 89 636 47950