I disagree with what this patch does.

On Jan 8, 2007, at 4:03 PM, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

# HG changeset patch
# User Hollis Blanchard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
# Date 1168293789 21600
# Node ID e1ee8b26c15de7afd7dec2d604b00d607e1307f4
# Parent  dbc74db14a4b39d359365fcf8257216d968fa269
Move lots of memory logic earlier.
- We now require the common boot allocator has been initialized before
__start_xen(), and we use that in boot_of.c instead of managing our own.

It is far more important that we do as little as possible in boot_of, just enough to know where we are and instantiate any parts of memory that need it. When we are booted with a flattened devtree (via kexec, or some other loader), we will never call into boot_of.c. The custom boot_of allocator is trivial and allows for simple tracking of available memory.

  Removing our custom allocator is important to simplify the upcoming
  multiboot2 conversion.

how?

- We also handle arbitrary-sized properties now, instead of
  probably-large-enough fixed-sized buffers.

this is fine by me, I'm a big fan of alloca()!
However, you use:
         proplen = of_getprop(child, string, NULL, 0);
when
         proplen = of_getproplen(child, string);

Is sufficient and defined and used already in this file.

- This will also be needed to support non-Open Firmware systems (though the
  firmware-specific interface was not the focus of this patch).

But what is there is designed with non-OF in mind.
IMHO this is a step backwards.

-JX