On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Jan Kiszka wrote:

Christopher Stone wrote:
I do not have specific plans.

I am working on something I am currently calling the Xen Loadable Module or
XLM. It is an Xenomai application that when loaded, turns the Linux kernel
into a Xen compatible hypervisor. For the rationale behind it see here:
http://www.openembedded.biz/content/view/36/27.

When it is ready, in 6 to 8 weeks, I am prepared to contribute it. It is a
significant work, but, is an Xenomai application, so I don't know if you
guys want it. It does fit with your goals with respect to industrial grade
Linux.

I think that XLM actually illustrates a key point that people forget when
they compare rt-preempt to Xenomai. I believe that in the industrial grade
Linux world, the ability to support multiple OS's is key, especially in
light of the emerging dual core CPU's. Due to ADEOS, Xenomai has the
infrastructure to support doing things like running eCos on one core and
Linux on the other, or eCos and Linux, side by side, on the same CPU. XLM is
designed to make this easy. Rt-preempt has no such capability.

Sounds interesting, especially when considering future systems with
hardware support for virtualisation, thus removing the need to patch the
guest OS (there are still people with the desire to run Windows aside
the RTOS core for visualisation etc.). And if your approach have real
advantages over Xen, specifically on embedded systems or in combination
with hard real-time, this could become really great.

I have the same positive reaction towards this XLM suggestion!

In some of our projects with machine tool builders, this kind of
virtualization is high on their wish list, because it's a perfect way
(hopefully) to combine lots of legacy GUI code with the advantages of a
realtime Linux-based controller.

Herman

--
  K.U.Leuven, Mechanical Eng.,  Mechatronics & Robotics Research Group
    <http://people.mech.kuleuven.be/~bruyninc> Tel: +32 16 322480