Jan Kiszka wrote:
Philippe Gerum wrote:

The issue that worries me - provided that we bound the adjustment offset
to the duration of one tick after some jittery - is that any attempt to
get intra-tick precision would lead to a possible discrepancy regarding
the elapsed time according to those two different scales, between the
actual count of jiffies tracked by the timer ISR on the timekeeper CPU,
and the corrected time value returned by rtdm_read_clock. And this
discrepancy would last for the total duration of the jitter. E.g., for a
100 us period, xnpod_get_time() could return 2 albeit rtdm_read_clock
returns 300, instead of 200. Spuriously mixing both units in
applications would lead to some funky chaos.

Trying to pick up this thread again, I just tried to understand your
concerns, but failed so far to imagine a concrete scenario. Could you
sketch such a "funky chaotic" situation from the application point of
view?

Given the description above, just that some skin might return either nucleus ticks or corrected timestamps to the applications, which would in turn do some arithmetics for converting values they got from the skin between both scales internally, and mistakenly use the result while assuming that both scales are always in sync. In this situation, and during a fraction of the time (i.e. the jitter), both scales might not be in sync, and the result would be unusable. This said, this kind of issue could be solved by big fat warnings in documentation, explicitely saying that conversions between both scales might be meaningless.

And what would prevent us from improving the accuracy of other
timestamping API functions beyond RTDM as well, e.g. on converting from
ticks to nanos in rt_timer_ticks2ns()?

I don't understand why rt_timer_ticks2ns() should be impacted by such extension. This service must keep a constant behaviour, regardless of any outstanding timing issue. I mean, 3 ticks from a 1Khz clock rate must always return 3,000,000 nanos, unless you stop passing count of ticks but fractional/compound values instead.

The bottom-line is that we should not blur the line between periodic and aperiodic timing modes, just for getting precise timestamps in the former case. Additionally, and x86-wise, when no TSC is available on the target system, rt_timer_tsc() already returns a timestamp obtained from the 8254's channel #2 we use as a free running counter, which is the most precise source we have at hand to do so.

Periodic mode bears its own limitation, which is basically a loss of accuracy we trade against a lower overhead (even if that does not mean much except perhaps on x86). What we could do is reducing the jittery involved in periodic ticks, by always emulating periodic mode over aperiodic shots instead of using e.g. the 8254 in PIT mode (and remove the need for the double scale on x86, tsc + 8254 channel #1), but not change the basic meaning of periodic timing.

But maybe we are still discussing different issues actually, so it would be useful that the core issue that triggered the discussion about periodic mode precision be exposed again.