Jan Kiszka wrote:
Philippe Gerum wrote:

Jan Kiszka wrote:

Philippe Gerum wrote:

Jan Kiszka wrote:

Hi,

this patch aims at avoiding to select unneeded nucleus features if no
user is requiring it in the skins. Particularly, it addresses the
nucleus registry and the pipes.

I have spent no effort on 2.4 yet as I first want to wait for comments.
Furthermore, 2.4. is lacking "select", so the feature selection has to
remain manually there anyway.

Looks good. Merged, thanks.

In the same sense, but not that comfortable, here is the a 2.4 variant
of the patch.

I don't agree with the logic of this patch. All user-space enabled skins
may also run in pure kernel-space in non pervasive mode. A core
dependency exists from CONFIG_XENO_OPT_REGISTRY on
CONFIG_XENO_OPT_PERVASIVE, and it should be defined explicitely. In any
case, maybe it's not worth trying to be too smart with the 2.4
configuration system when it comes to dealing with features
inter-dependencies, since we really miss the proper support to do that.

Sorry, doesn't parse for me yet. You that when CONFIG_XENO_OPT_PERVASIVE
is enabled CONFIG_XENO_OPT_REGISTRY is required (which was not correct,
see POSIX skin)?

The POSIX skin is an exception, since it implemented its own registry support before the native registry was moved as a generic nucleus feature; at some point in time, the POSIX registry should be rebased on the nucleus support. We must now consider that having CONFIG_XENO_OPT_PERVASIVE set requires CONFIG_XENO_OPT_REGISTRY to be set too. OTOH, you can have CONFIG_XENO_OPT_REGISTRY set without CONFIG_XENO_OPT_PERVASIVE, if you want to run skins in kernel space only, whilst still providing registry support for inter-modules requests.