On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 11:59 +0100, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> Philippe Gerum wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 20:32 +0000, Paul wrote:
> >
> >>Hi Philippe

> >>By "package", I mean binaries in the form of *.deb and/or *.rpm - Whilst
> >>I'm
> >>happy to build and host i386/x86 Debian packages, I'm concerned about
> >>treading on someone's toes without a discussion about revision numbers and
> >>general policy about "official" releases.
> >

> > So far, we don't have an established policy for making distro-oriented
> > packages; a few people have contributed some of them from time to time,
> > but there is no "appointed" maintainer doing sustained work for the
> > project on this issue yet.
> >

> >> For example, the packages I've
> >>built to date have used 2.3.50 even although a tarball of that version
> >>hasn't
> >>been released.. That could well cause confusion for users and yourself if
> >>bugs are reported. There is also a minor problem with keeping the
> >>debian/changelog in sync.
> >>
> >> One possible answer is for me to rebuild my repository from scratch and
> >>append the SVN revision number to revision number so that we end up with
> >>2.3.50-1~r2289 - This would allow an official 2.3.50-1 release to override
> >>the ~r2289 revision..
> >>

> > It would be saner to use the commit number indeed, especially since it
> > allows decouple the package versioning from the source releases while
> > keeping a reference to a common history of changes.
>
> Do we really want to make debian packages with trunk ? Would not it make
> sense to only make debian packages from stable releases ?

Not necessarily, the same way one may want to base his work on sid,
because some features only available in the development branch are
needed (e.g. support for multiple time bases is only available in the
trunk/ and not with 2.3.x, and one would need such feature to run
VxWorks and the POSIX skins in parallel for instance). Provided we do
have a non-confusing way to name such intermediate releases, of course.