On Monday 12 October 2009 11:30:11 you wrote:
> [...]
> let's not import it to Xenomai. Unless I'm mistaken, that particular
> issue has been solved by switching gear to Analogy, so let's not rehash
> the reasons why it has been done, those are pretty obvious. Get away
> with this and move on.
>
> > 5) So far, Comedi/RTDM has only one driver which deserves interest: the
> > National Instruments NI PCIMIO. And it took quite a long time to make it
> > work by myself and I still have some work to do on it. A user still has
> > some troubles with his specific PPC host board. We are striving to find
> > the bug. -> Do we really have a significant user base for Comedi/RTDM ?
>
> Nobody can force a user base to exist, but you could make it simpler for
> it to emerge, that is my point. By introducing uncertainty regarding
> your architecture a few weeks before the first release of your project
> in Xenomai, you are confusing people. This won't help having them write
> drivers for it.
>
> > These questions led me to the conclusions I shared in the ML:
> >
> > 1) I have a true worrisome problem: Comedi/RTDM is not living because it
> > lacks users on one side and contributors on the other side. The machine
> > is not running.
>
> Users are expected to be your contributors when it comes to drivers,
> most of the time if not always. Tell them why they should be confident
> that building over Comedi/RTDM now is (still) a safe bet. That is the
> "plan" I referred to.
>
> > 2) It is still time to make it overtake by assessing what went wrong.
> > There are Comedi users but they cannot use our framework because of the
> > lack of drivers.
>
> Typical catch #22. You assume the framework has to be perfect for having
> drivers contributed, but the framework can't be perfect without drivers
> available in the first place. -EDEADLOCK (since you can't provide those
> drivers yourself).
>
> Instead of rehashing "we ought to be able to reuse Comedi drivers",
> maybe it's time to walk the walk, and make this possible over
> Comedi/RTDM. Any adaptation layer to do this would have to be long-lived
> and well maintained, this could be a reasonable incentive for people to
> base their work on Comedi/RTDM now. This only makes sense if that layer
> can shield them from most changes in the next architecture though.
>
> > 3) The driver is the key. So, the kernel side is the key. We have to
> > improve it in two ways:
> > - (almost) seamlessly recover the original Comedi drivers;
> > - get some feedback on the best way to implement such a framework and
> > make it flexible, because, right now, I am pretty convinced I am in the
> > middle of what people call "the midlayer mistake".
> >
> >  So, I was not at the "plan" level yet when I sent the first mail of this
> > thread. I am still in the "design" phase just in case a redesign needs to
> > be done.
>
> You already answered the question whether such redesign is required or

Clearly no. I would have been happy having technical talks about how people
would see the design. I did not send the mail to impose a solution but to
receive critics and to find out the best way. My opinion was just a starting
point.

> Otherwise, what are we talking about?

No need to say more.

I think I clearly understood your issues. I kept on focusing on the technical
aspects leaving the plan unclear, which is not the right path.

I also made a mistake by saying that I would create an analogy branch in my
git repository for a potential redesign. That did not leave place for the
current design.

My former mails should have dealt with what Analogy _was_ instead of what
Analogy _would_ become.

So here is what I propose:

I like your idea "analogy 1 and analogy 2" but let's focus on 1.x series, the
stable one (the experimental flag will vanish in Kconfig).

       -> Goal: ensure a smooth transition between Comedi and Analogy.

       -> So far, the transition with Comedi is not good enough. So after the
2.5 Xenomai release, I will work on improving this issue; along with the
Analogy driver API, a Comedi driver API will be available in some intermediate
layer.

       -> The calibration feature is still missing. I will work on that point.

Then Analogy users would have a stable base on which acquisition applications
could evolve.

So, to sum-up:

In Xenomai 2.5: Analogy 1.0 :
       -> the current code
       ->  Support of a great part of National Instruments PCI cards (thanks
to the pcimio driver).

In Xenomai x.x: Analogy 1.1:
       -> Comedi compatibility layer
       -> Auto calibration
       -> Any Ideas / requests coming from users
       -> More Analogy drivers.

Is that ok ?

> The design phase must be part of a more general course of action. I
> won't argue about technicalities regarding how your acquisition system
> should look like, you know better. But I'm asking you whether
> Comedi/RTDM (or Analogy 1.0, whatever) - as it is now in the Xenomai 2.5
> tree - still makes sense, with respect to what changing its architecture
> will entail?
>
> If so, will some layer be provided to migrate drivers from Analogy 1.0
> to 2.0, i.e. when the major architecture changes will have taken place?

Alexis.