Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
>> Wolfgang Mauerer wrote:
>>>>
>>> I was referring to the argument that system calls are so fast that
>>> replacing gtod with a syscall-less version that uses function
>>> pointer dereferencing instead does not make much of a difference.
>> That is not what I said. I compared the weight of a function pointer
>> call with the one of four asignments with irqs off. And yes syscalls are
>> fast on x86, do the measurements yourself, you may be surprised.
>>
>>> Be it as it may, I need to check how far our budget can cover
>>> the (much more comprehensive) modifications required for the
>>> solution suggested by you. Let's see.
>> I do not think there is that much work involved. The way I see it, we
>> would need to replace our tsc reading function with one returning
>> "ntp-corrected" tsc (that is, essentially a subset of the gettimeofday
>> function you implemented, without conversion to ns and to CLOCK_REALTIME).
>>
>> Changes in this monotonic clock would trigger a recomputation of the
>> next timer event date.
>> Changes in monotonic to real-time conversion would trigger a call to
>> xnpod_set_time.
>
> If all works out well, it might be that simple. But this is timer/clock
> stuff, the heart of the system, and easy to get subtly wrong.
>
> For that reason the plan was to gain more confidence in the externally
> corrected clock source, collect experience in other use cases, and then
> work on the core for its optional use.
>
> So far our customer is using this clock for important but not yet
> critical jobs. Making it the RT clock source is of a different quality,
> and for now without a use case.

To be quite frank about use cases, I do not really understand in what
use case the patch Wolfgang sent is useful. An application can not use
the timestamps returned by this gettimeofday syscall for anything
useful. And if we talk about things breaking subtly, an application that
would use these timestamps with Xenomai services would be subtly broken
too.

Avoiding the drift between Xenomai clock and Linux clock by making them
synchronized by design, on the other hand, albeit probably solving a
corner case, looks more useful, and some people asked for it (it looks
to me like what Steve asked for is that, not to have a third timebase
accessible in real-time context, and Steve asked for a solution for
powerpc, not for x86).

So, my feeling about all this is that Wolfgang's patch is not useful for
anyone else than your customer.

--
                                            Gilles.