Anders Blomdell wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to use rt_eepro100, for sending raw ethernet packets, but I'm
>> experincing occasionally weird behaviour.
>>
>> Versions of things:
>>
>>   linux-2.6.34.5
>>   xenomai-2.5.5.2
>>   rtnet-39f7fcf
>>
>> The testprogram runs on two computers with "Intel Corporation
>> 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet Pro 100 (rev 08)" controller, where one computer
>> acts as a mirror sending back packets received from the ethernet (only
>> those two computers on the network), and the other sends packets and
>> measures roundtrip time. Most packets comes back in approximately 100
>> us, but occasionally the reception times out (once in about 100000
>> packets or more), but the packets gets immediately received when
>> reception is retried, which might indicate a race between rt_dev_recvmsg
>> and interrupt, but I might miss something obvious.
>
> Changing one of the ethernet cards to a "Intel Corporation 82541PI
> Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 05)", while keeping everything else
> constant, changes behavior somewhat; after receiving a few 100000
> packets, reception stops entirely (-EAGAIN is returned), while
> transmission proceeds as it should (and mirror returns packets).
>
> Any suggestions on what to try?

Since the problem disappears with 'maxcpus=1', I suspect I have a SMP
issue (machine is a Core2 Quad), so I'll move to xenomai-core.
(original message can be found at
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=4CC82C8D.3080808%40control.lth.se

)

Xenomai-core gurus: which is the corrrect way to debug SMP issues?
Can I run I-pipe-tracer and expect to be able save at least 150 us of
traces for all cpus? Any hints/suggestions/insigths are welcome...

Regards

Anders Blomdell