On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 09:00 +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Am 28.10.2010 21:34, Philippe Gerum wrote:

> >> I have no idea. How do the other architectures do? As far as I know,
> >> this code has been copied from there.
> >
> > Other archs do the same, simply because once an irq is managed by the
> > hal, it may not be shared in any way with the regular kernel. So locking
> > is pointless.
>
> Indeed, I missed that all the other archs have this uninlined in hal.c.
>
> However, this leaves at least a race between xnintr_disable/enable and
> XN_ISR_PROPAGATE (ie. the related Linux path) behind.

I can't see why XN_ISR_PROPAGATE would be involved here. This service
pends an interrupt in the pipeline log.

>  Not sure if it
> matters practically - but risking silent breakage for this micro
> optimization?

It was not meant as an optimization; we may not grab the linux
descriptor lock in this context because we may enter it in primary mode.

>  Is disabling/enabling really in the highly
> latency-critical anywhere? Otherwise, I would suggest to just plug this
> by adding the intended lock for this field.

The caller is expected to manage locking; AFAICS the only one who does
not is the RTAI skin, which is obsolete and removed in 2.6.x, so no big
deal.