I'm on the first step of the project and I have to choose a complete system for
my customer. I looking at the constraints both for hardware and software and
the possibly dependency between them.

> I'm asking for the current state of the CAN implementation. Is it a
> partial or a
> complete implementation of the CAN standard? What are the guarantee
> about real
> time latency?

What exactly do you mean with CAN standard? RT-Socket-CAN allows
low-level access the CAN controller to send and receive messages, handle
errors and set the bit-timing. Standard, extended and RTR frames are
supported.

Sorry, I've made a misunderstood about the CAN organization. In fact, the
RT-Socket-CAN is a kind of user API for ease the use of CAN bus, isn't it? It
seems that, generally, the handling of protocol, like the access to media or
arbitration, is done in the chip.

> I explored briefly the sources of Xenomai, and I read the file
> "ksrc/drivers/can/README". Is it up-to-date? Is there really only
> support for
> the controllers listed in it?

Mainly yes, what CAN controller would you like to use? Writing a
RT-Socket-CAN driver is usually not a big deal.

I asked this to point at the dependency between the software and the hardware.
For time, the most part of boards that I've seen had the SJA100 controller, so
that won't be a problem.

> I've read in "RTDM and applications" that there would be an effort for
> implementing a CANOpen profile. But, the implementation of CANOpen
> protocol is
> let to users? I can't find any newer reference for that in sources or in the
> documentation of Xenomai. What is the state of this project?

If you are looking for a free CANopen implementation, CANfestival might
be an option, which also supports RT-Socket-CAN, IIRC. Check
http://canfestival.org/ for further information.

My client asks for a complete implementation of the CANOpen protocol. I will
take all a look at this site and if it's clear for that use.

> I've seen that there is currently only one implementation of a RT driver
> for the
> 16550A serial controller. Has anybody implemented it for other chip?

What chip/hardware do you have in mind?

Similarly to CAN hardware, almost the hardware that I've seen yet use this
controller or a 8250 chip.

Best regards, and really thanks for help,

| BERRUER Sébastien             |
| Trainee at Altran Ouest       |
| Centre d'Affaires Alphasis    |
| 35760 Saint-Grégoire - FRANCE |