On 04/07/2012 07:33 AM, Anisha Kaul wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> From here: http://www.xenomai.org/index.php/Xenomai:Roadmap#Xenomai_3_FAQ
>
> Quote:
>> the target hardware platform has limited horsepower, and/or you want the
>> real-time job to put the smallest possible overhead on your system. This is
>> where dual kernels are usually better than a native preemption system.
>

> Preempt_rt does preempt the whole Linux. In what way does preempting
> Linux put load on the system?

I think you are misunderstanding what preempt_rt is, preempt_rt does
not preempt linux, preempt_rt is simply linux modified, when a linux
kernel patched with preempt_rt runs, nothing else than linux runs, so
nothing preempts the whole linux. This is achieved by means which have
a global overhead on the whole system. The exact means are described on
the rt wiki FAQ:
https://rt.wiki.kernel.org/articles/f/r/e/Frequently_Asked_Questions_7407.html

Note the answer to FAQ 3, which explains that improving latencies is a
trade off, and means degrading the average performances of the system.
That is the overhead we are talking about.

--
                                                                Gilles.