On 12/14/2012 02:13 PM, hauptmech wrote:

I've used and followed Xenomai off and on since it forked from RTAI.

It did not. A fork happens when you diverge from a common code base, which does not apply to Xenomai wrt RTAI. Both used to be independent projects before they joined forces, then split as we failed to actually merge both real-time cores. Portions of Adeos might still be shared by both projects, but incidentally, it is a Xenomai-originated contribution. Please check https://www.xenomai.org/index.php/Xenomai:History for facts.

 I'm
building a new xenomai x86 system after a few years of doing other
things. I'm noticing that the adeos patches are few and relatively old
compared to the kernel for the x86 architecture.

We published 990 official Adeos patches since 2001, with more than half of them targeting the x86_32 and _64 architectures. I would not call these a few. Please check download.gna.org/adeos/patches for more information.

 Kernel version 3.2 has
moved from .21 to .35 for instance.

We never updated the Adeos patches for minor linux releases routinely, this has never been our policy, and will likely never be the case. This would just involve way too much work for our bandwidth. We are focusing on major releases. So you seem to be expecting something we never delivered in the past anyway.

However, the pace of our Adeos updates for major kernel releases has slowed down over the past three years, definitely. This said, we have support for kernel 3.4 and in some cases 3.5, for the main architecture ports we maintain, it's not lagging that far behind.

So my question is (with the deepest respect for the effort it must take)
why?

Because we all have to deal with priorities and available resources, this is no different for the Xenomai maintainers.

Is

Philippe.