El Dilluns, 26 de gener de 2015, a les 13:08:24, Gilles Chanteperdrix va
escriure:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 07:43:21PM +0100, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> > El Diumenge, 25 de gener de 2015, a les 19:10:16, Philippe Gerum va
escriure:

> > > Yes, but the results are now outdated (2011). This said, such benchmark
> > > hardly reflected a use case. It was more a Xenomai 2.6.x vs 3.x analysis
> > > of basic mechanisms (event notification, serialization, buffer exchange
> > > etc) for measuring the impact of moving most of the real-time API
> > > implementation to user-space, only keeping the core resource management
> > > in kernel space. It proved to be positive.
> > >
> > > Mercury vs Cobalt was only a by-product of those tests, specifically on
> > > x86_32.
> >
> > After this thread, I think more firmly that the libs should be renamed in
> > the manner that they could be co-installed in the same root, standard
> > places.
> >
> > Please upstream, could you think about it?
>
> This is a decision that upstream should not impose to all users.

Interesting sentence. You are developing a new version with an step forward.
You have reworked libraries and for instance libxenomai, libnative, librtdm
doesn't exists in Xenomai-3. Also you have introduced new ones (libalchemy,
libcobalt, libcopperplate, libtrank.

You have developed xenomai in two main group of libraries (or use a cobalt
kernel or a mercury kernel) and are you saying that you cannot impose to all
users a suffix or something that the users could have both version co-
installed in standards places in their systems?

> Only users with your specific needs should do what you want.

Maybe I'm wrong. But after reading this thread I understood that to have a
kernel with both patches (i-pipe and preempt_rt) and, I understand, Xenomai-3
with the two versions could be a very interesting system to work on.

For instance, I'm in the robotics field, and after that mails I thought that
it could be a good solution that fit the cases where you have several loops,
with several rates with different importance.

> And
> in fact, I believe simply using the configure script options, it is
> possible to install libraries in different directories. Maybe even
> the --program* options apply to libraries too.

Not really. It's nice if you a have a package.

Leopold

Linux User 152692     GPG: 05F4A7A949A2D9AA
Catalonia