On 08/25/2015 12:13 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2015-08-25 17:20, Jorge Ramirez Ortiz wrote:

>>> arm64 support is definitely a high priority item. Thanks for tackling this.
>>
>> There are a numbers of cheap (<100USD) and well documented aarch64 boards [1]
>> that could be used as a reference platform (different SoC vendors)
>> I'd suggest we use Qualcomm's Dragon 410c.
>
> The Qualcomm thing is pretty ugly beast, using a proprietary interrupt
> controller instead of the standard GIC as strongly recommended by ARM.
> As an ARM kernel developer recently put it when I asked about this
> board: "I prefer the Raspberry Pi2 over that one." And the Pi2 is
> already broken in its design.

do you know the name of the developer?

Incidentally I am working on both boards - I gate keep the HiKey kernel [0] but
do some level of support on all 96 boards.
It seems to me that Qualcomm might be putting more resources on the the level of
support and streaming efforts (hence my recommendation).

Having said that, HiKey has support for OP-TEE (always interesting [1] ) and in
the next release we will ship UEFI which we are currently validating.

The 410c ubuntu kernel is here [2] - the Android kernel is also available on
another repo.

[0] https://github.com/96boards/linux
[1] https://github.com/OP-TEE/optee_os
[2]
https://git.linaro.org/landing-teams/working/qualcomm/kernel.git/shortlog/refs/heads/release/qcomlt-4.0

> The HiKey looks better in this regard, but one has to check which of the
> mentioned boards are already upstream (or very close to this). Same for
> uboot support. No one should hack on vendor trees any more.

Upstream support is ongoing for both boards (we upstreamed the HiKey basic
platform support a couple of months ago but that is not to say that it is in a
better shape with respect to drivers and peripherals - graphics are - currently,
might change in the near future-  better on the 410c for instance).

in any case, I think we should pick one SoC.