> libcobalt enforces the requirement to hold the lock so that optimizing
> the wake up process is possible - under the assumption that the caller
> owns the lock. There is no hack around this.

Then I would suggest that pthread_cond_signal() should return an error code if
the caller does not own the mutex. Currently it returns 0 (success), which is
pretty confusing. I am happy to help bringing the documentation up to date once
this is done.

Am I right to say that the waiting thread will only be unblocked after the lock
has been released from the calling thread, thus avoiding a potential deadlock
situation?

Thanks,
Giulio