On 11/23/2017 09:36 PM, Philippe Gerum wrote:
On 11/23/2017 01:38 PM, Jorge Ramirez wrote:
Xenomai also lacks an IRC channel which makes things way too quiet for a
small size community (in the case of ffmpeg for instance IRC is where
most if not all the discussions happen). IRC is - and should be for
Xenomai- a good place to ask for help and direction. So I vote for
having one.

IRC may be intrusive to some people, as it is by design preempting one's
attention unlike e-mail. This might work if a sufficient number of
people is actually willing to help on the channel though. Maybe.

IRC notifications can be ignored just like any others (you can just listen to certain nicks or keys as most users do) There are pretty decent tools these days. (as an example I follow ten to twenty channels and it is not that bad).

I understand the point of not having a sufficient number of people willing - maybe capable is a better word?- to help (core knowledge today is pretty much concentrated in yourself which is issue #1). But the way I see it an IRC channel should be a step towards removing that issue - those that tend/need to spend more time working with Xenomai (maybe developing a product) will end up driving the channel. And that is something that I think is needed.

And clearly IRC doesnt replace mailing lists: these are different tools for difference use cases.

I think the tools that we provide will end up shaping the community that we will have. To me, not having a channel is an issue. You kind of pointed out that the channel -at least at the beginning- will probably just be many questions and little answers.

But maybe not? there are many products out there using Xenomai so who knows.