On 02/28/2018 10:40 PM, Julian Viereck wrote:
> Thanks for your pointer to hwlatdetect and possible SMI issues.
>
> It looks like the hwlatdetect script is not working with the latest
> kernel anymore. However, it appears the hwlat is now part of the
> kernel's ftrace [1]. Here is the kernel documentation about how to use
> and understand the trace loge file [2].
>
> Using a trace window of 1sec, trace width of 0.5 sec and tracing_thresh
> of 20 microseconds, there are no unexpected latencies detected by the
> hwlat tool. Therefore, I doubt the issue is due to SMI interrupts.
>
> In the meantime, I've also tested:
>
> 1) disable hyperthreading and running a single core

147 us is clearly pathological Xenomai-wise. This can't be a SMT/SMP
overhead.

> 2) run the xenomai latency test from the console before booting the x11
> desktop (to rule out any graphics issues)
>
> In both cases, the high latencies under no-workload remains.

What are the exact settings regarding the CPU_IDLE and CPU_FREQ
(governor) frameworks?

> Any other ideas what to look into / debug / run traces on?

At this point, we'd need a pipeline trace. Could you take a snapshot
with this tool [1] by running the latency test with the -f option?

[1] http://xenomai.org/2014/06/using-the-i-pipe-tracer/

--
Philippe.