Von: Philippe Gerum [mailto:r...@xenomai.org]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 14. März 2018 15:31
An: Schrenkhammer, Martin; xenomai@xenomai.org
Betreff: Re: [Xenomai] Latency Peaks with Skylake vs. Haswell

On 03/13/2018 12:33 PM, Schrenkhammer, Martin wrote:
> I am currently porting a project from Haswell to Skylake (i5-6440EQ). When in
> desktop, I observe latency peaks when windows are moved around or zoomed.
> With Haswell CPUs, there is not impact of graphic workload. Unfortunately
> everything above 10us  is an issue in our real time system application.
> Currently I am using Xubuntu 16.04 + Kernel 4.9.51 + Xenomai 3.0.6 I
> already disabled all power- and performance features like
> Hyper-Threading, SpeedStep, Turbo Mode, C-States in BIOS and also by
> kernel parameters. Also disabled i915 power savings like
> i915.enable_dc=0,  i915.enable_rc6=0, i915.enable_execlists=0... and
> disabled grafik turbo gt_max_freq_mhz = 350  gt_boost_freq_mhz = 350
>
> One difference we see between Haswell and Skylake: i915 raises a lot of MSI
> when moving windows around where there are almost zero at Haswell.
>
> Any ideas for bringing the peaks down?

Did you track which specific event the i915 driver was handling with those MSIs?

> == Sampling period: 100 us
> == Test mode: periodic user-mode task
> == All results in microseconds
> warming up...
> RTT|  00:00:01  (periodic user-mode task, 100 us period, priority 99)
> RTH|----lat min|----lat avg|----lat max|-overrun|---msw|---lat
> RTH|best|--lat worst
> RTD|     -0.368|     -0.210|      0.259|       0|     0|     -0.368|
> 0.259
> RTD|     -0.259|     -0.161|      1.601|       0|     0|     -0.368|
> 1.601
> RTD|     -0.290|     -0.174|      1.367|       0|     0|     -0.368|
> 1.601

This is unrelated to the issue at stake, but the core timer looks slightly
early (negative mins), which means that the expected intrinsic latency value is
too pessimistic/high. Running autotune may help in picking better gravity
values for this timer.

--
Philippe.

Vertrauliche E-Mail von / Confidential e-mail from: DATA MODUL AG
Vorstand / CEO: Dr. Florian Pesahl
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates / Chairwoman of the Supervisory Board: Kristin
D. Russell
Sitz der Gesellschaft / Registered Office: München
Registergericht / Registration Court: München Handelsregister B 85 591