On 2018-05-30 17:46, Greg Gallagher wrote:
> I agree, after the first run of building the images myself I think
> having the user generate the images would make more sense.  I'm
> looking into doing that with an existing tool I think yocto may be a
> good choice.  I've been generating some images with buildroot as well
> which seems to be pretty straight forward to do and looks to only
> require minimal changes.  The other long term goal for this would be
> to make sure a certain set of boards are always sane and new users
> just have to learn the new tools and not debug boot issues.  I'll
> hopefully post an update to this soon, I just finished the work to
> bring the bcm2835 to the 4.14 ipipe so it looks like we should be able
> to try more raspberry pi builds.

Going with a complete our-of-source image is surely an option and has a
value (many users are still basing their development on such
approaches). The disadvantage is that customizations require the user to
rebuild everything. Generating a distro-based image (no, yocto is no
distro) is much faster in this regard, both for rebuilds as well as
extensions. That was my motivation to pick that Debian path for the
Jailhouse demo/reference images.

Jan