I have the choice between git-send-email without context of the previous mail,
or Outlook which breaks any formatting.
(I was kinda expecting a discussion and thus a V2)

> The idea of the wrapping is to establish an instrumentation point that will
> give us an early warning when an application calls into non-rt malloc/free
> from rt context. As those glibc calls only occasionally cause a syscall, the
> hook
> is needed to have that deterministic warning.

Sure, but this is NOT __wrap_malloc but __real_malloc, which seems pointless to
me
(this is just routed through as-is to malloc).

The bigger idea behind this is to use preload libraries (#1), at which point
this symbol wrapping is
counter-productive.

> That instrumentation should also work for indirect malloc/free via our
> libraries. From that perspective, I would rather expect unwrapped calls so
> that they *do* point to libmodechk helpers. Seems inconsistent from that
> angle. OTH, internal calls could also be instrumented at build-time, thus
> could
> avoid the wrapping trick.

Again, the symbols are not the checked ones by libmodechk, and you can avoid the
build-time wrapping with preloaded libraries.

#1: https://github.com/nolange/preload_checkers

Regards,
Norbert