----- Den 16 sep 2019, på kl 11:34, Jan Kiszka jan.kis...@siemens.com skrev:

> On 16.09.19 09:32, Per Oberg via Xenomai wrote:
> > Hello list

>> I am trying to understand how rtdm works, and possibly why out of a
>> historical
>> context. Perhaps there is a good place to read up on this stuff, then please
> > let me know.

> > It seems like in the rtdm-api there is only open, but no open_rt or
> > open_nrt.
> > More specifically we have:
> > - read_rt / read_nrt
> > - recvmsg_rt / recvmsg_nrt
> > - ioctl_rt / ioctl_nrt
> > - .. etc.

>> However, when studying an old xenomai2->3 ported driver it seems like there
>> used
>> to be open_rt and open_nrt. The problem I was having before (see my
>> background
>> comment below) was because the open had been mapped to the old open_nrt
>> code,
>> which in turned used a rt-lock, thus a mix of the two. When switching to a
> > regular mutex it "worked", as in it didn't complain.

>> In a short discussion Jan Kiszka gave me the impression that open could
>> possibly
> > end up being rt or nrt depending on situation.

>> PÖ: I'm guessing that open is always non-rt and therefore a rtdm_lock should
>> be
> > used? ...

> > JK: This depends. If the open code needs to synchronize only with other
> > non-RT
> > JK: paths, normal Linux locks are fine. If there is the need to sync with
> > the
> > JK: interrupt handler or some of the _rt callbacks, rtdm_lock & Co. is
> > needed.

>> So, how does this work? And why was (if it was) open_nrt and open_rt
>> replaced
> > with a common open?

> The original RTDM design was foreseeing the use case of creating and
> destroying
> resources like file descriptors for devices in RT context. That idea was
> dropped
> as also the trend for the core was clearly making this less realistic.
> Therefore, we removed open/socket_rt from Xenomai 3.

> If you have a driver that exploited open_rt, you need to remove all
> rt-sleeping
> operations from its open function. If rtdm_lock is an appropriate alternative
> depends on the driver locking structure and the code run under the lock.
> rtdm_lock_get makes the lock holder unpreemptible. So, if rtdm_mutex was
> chosen
> because of lengthy code under the lock, that would not be a good alternative.
> Then we would have to discuss what exactly is run there, and why.

Ok, can I read up on this somewhere? I found [1], is that still valid in this
context? ( Oh, and can we expect a third edition perhaps ? =) )

[1] Building Embedded Linux Systems: Concepts, Techniques, Tricks, and Traps
2nd Edition, Kindle Edition

> > Background
> > ----------------
>> I recently wrote about a driver which warned about "drvlib.c:1349
>> rtdm_mutex_timedlock". I got good answers which led me to some more general
>> questions, but instead of continuing in the old tread I thought it better to
>> start a new one since it's not about the initial problem. The driver in case
>> is
> > the Peak Linux Driver for their CAN hardware, see [1]

> > [1] https://www.peak-system.com/fileadmin/media/linux/index.htm

> Did you inform them about their problem already? Maybe they are willing to
> fix
> it. We can't, it's not upstream code.

No, I haven't, but I will. The reason I haven't yet is because I was under the
impression that this didn't happen to them. I'm trying to compile everything
(driver, lib, and application) in a Yocto based SDK setup and it seems like
compilation flags and environment variables are getting squashed in interesting
ways. My reasoning so far was that I got this wrong somehow.

Then there's the fact that making it work is only part of the goal. I do really
want to understand how this fits together.

> Jan

> --
> Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RDA IOT SES-DE

Thanks
Per Öberg